Home > FAQs > Engineering & Planning FAQs

Engineering & Planning FAQs

Q. What are the steps to complete a subdivision?

  • Initial research to determine what may be the governing factors that will dictate how the subdivision is designed (i.e. jurisdiction location, existing sewer location, steep slopes, critical areas, topography, traffic studies, etc.)
  • Boundary and Topographic Survey for design
  • Preliminary Plat or Short Plat Review with jurisdiction
  • Public Hearing (if needed for rezone, plat, new public roads, etc.)
  • Construction Plan Design
  • Site Improvements for future houses (i.e. frontage improvements, drainage, sewer and water connections, private roads, clearing and grading)
  • Complete final plat of short plat drawings for approval by jurisdiction (includes setting new corners)
  • Record Final Plat or Short Plat
    Short Plat Process

Q. How long do subdivisions take to complete?

Depends on jurisdiction, scope of project and length of time to complete site improvements. Typical range is 9 months to 4 years.

Q. How long do multi-family projects take to complete?

Depends on jurisdiction, scope of project and length of time to complete site improvements. Typical range is 6 months to 2 years.

Q. What are typical triggers for needing construction or engineering plans?

Most new development will require construction plans signed by a licensed engineer if proposing more than 2,000 sf of impervious areas (i.e. gravel, asphalt, concrete, roof areas, etc.), more than 7,000 sf of clearing, more than 100 cubic yards of cut or fill, or any development located in critical areas.

Due to complexity of most requirements, some projects may require engineering below these amounts depending on how knowledgeable the contractor or architect is with the jurisdictional requirements.

Q. How many lots or units can I get on one piece of property?

Depends on zoning, comprehensive plan and scope of requirements that go along with development.

Q. How much does feasibility study cost for development of property?

Usually about 30 minutes of research on a piece of property can give you an idea of what can be done. (first 30 minutes are free)
The cost of an in depth feasibility will depend on how much information you are looking for (i.e. conceptual lot/unit layout, drainage/detention design, sewer design, cost of construction, etc.)

Q. Is a pre-application meeting necessary through the governing jurisdiction?

Some jurisdictions require a pre-app meeting before an application can be submitted.
Most of the time, requirements for development can be outlined by our engineering department so that a pre-app meeting is not necessary (unless required)

Q. Can WESI provide all the services I need to complete a development?

Most of the time, surveying and engineering is all the consulting needed to finish a development. Sometimes a wetland biologist, geo-tech, structural or traffic engineer may be needed on a project. If so, we can generally let you know before a project is started and provide references.